Thursday 1 September 2011

Chuchichāschtli usw.

I've been hanging out in Switzerland. They speak a funny language there. Not a dialect of Hochdeutsch, rather a whole language unto itself from which high German originates (as I understand it). I find German spoken with a Swiss accent has something of a welsh lilt to it; it's a beautiful accent I think. After travelling down with Mitfahrgelegenheit, I met N in Burgdorf and from there we travelled up into the mountains near Thun. Eriz is difficult to adequately described. A sort of festival, family, friend, gathering, surrounded by mountains and sunsets spectacular and cows. 

Places like this make me happy because they are full of good people, who are generous, who hug easily, who enjoy making music and telling stories. People of all ages, eating, drinking, dancing. (And what incredible food it was). In the nighttime the stars light brilliance and the woods exude darkness. Walking by the glow of the white track through the black I made my way out of reach of Eriz's sounds and lights. There, the mountains explode into an accidental orchestra! A chorus of bells, unmeditated, pervasive, every pitch and notes soft and clear. It's like the stars are singing. 








(Photos credit to Sabina and Helmer)


Following Eriz, the following days were spent mainly on, in, and beside rivers. Gummiboot adventures. Swimming with the currents, lazily, avoiding the tankers. On Saturday I made it to La Lance via Roller (motorcycle).* Sailing, Kayaking, exploring vineyards and old libraries, hanging out with my cousin. It was a good day.




*I have never been so cold in my entire life. Never drive on one on a motorway, with sandales, when it's raining. Also, don't let me drive it either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment