Saturday 9 July 2011

Ballett: Onegin

I never wrote about one of the most significant experiences over the past year. After Adventures in Basel, Naomi and I hitched back to Berlin via München and went to see a ballett. I am very fortunate to be distantly related to Ivan Liska and Colleen Scott, two of the world's finest dancers and also generous, kind, wonderful people. We stayed with them for one night and they took us to see a performance of Onegin at the Bayrische Staatsballett. I know nothing about ballet. I may have had a few classes as a kid, but I've never been to a professional ballet nor do I know the great classics.

Onegin is a classic. We dressed up like queens. You would never guessed we'd spent the day in dusty Tankstellen asking for lifts. The theater itself was as grand as you can imagine - all pinks and golds and chandeliers, grand marble staircases, red velvet, glittering mirrors. It exhaled luxury and opulence. Prunkvoll, would be the German adjective. I felt torn between feeling out of sync, and in love with the place. But this was just bricks and things that sparkle. Then came the dance.

Then came the dance! Whatever you think of a building for its grandeur, you can feel nothing but awe for the dancers. The sheer beauty of how they flew screamed impossible! the utmost control in every tiny bone left me feeling quite inadequate in my own body and completely captured by theirs. The plot danced like the best told story. Emotionally caught up in every gesture, every crumble, every moment of strength. I identified with the heroine (despite) her classical costume and uncanny ability to spin on toes. I muttered a "YESS!" under breath at the final moment when Tatiana rejects Onegin (who was, after all, a massive dickhead)

I am going to stop gushing now.
Here are some pictures, stolen from the programme.
If you are ever in Munich the cheapest tickets are around €15. That's about 20 Sterni. Bargain.


 Lucia Lacarra, Marlon Dino
 Judith Turos und Ivan Liska
Lisa-Marie Cullum, Oliver Wehe

No comments:

Post a Comment